Monday, December 12, 2011

2011 Miles, 11 States and 4 Days...

Did I say something in my last post about blogging more?  And then follow by a blog absence of 2 months?  Sounds like me.  Well, we're settled in Wyoming now, or mostly settled, so in theory I'll have more time to blog.  (I know, I'll believe it when I see it too).
So now, I'm catching up, as usual...

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone that helped us, prayed for us and helped to keep me sane during the time leading up to our departure.  Thanks to friends and family who changed plans to come spend time with us in the narrow window you were given.  Thanks for the help packing, the time away from packing, and the general shared excitement for our new adventure.  Thanks for loving us as a family, and for loving and caring for our precious kids.  It's been bittersweet, we are keenly aware of all the good that we've moved away from, but we're in our new home together and are definitely where God wants us.

Before I start crying all over the keyboard, I do have one special shout out to make.  I can't imagine how we could have made this trip without the amazingly selfless Julia Gardner.  Thank you dear friend for the great company, for loving Noah and Chloe even while trapped in a car with them for 4 days.  For driving many more hours than I did, and for being willing to follow my determined husband through a LOT of states on Day 2.  For the great conversations and lots of laughter.  For listening to way more cartoons than anyone should ever have to listen to in such a short duration.  For doing all this and at the end of it unpacking almost my entire kitchen.  And for ending the trip with a full day of travel that included 2 layovers.  You are such a blessing and I'm so grateful to call you my friend.  Lastly, thanks for staring at this with me for 4 days...

I was really hoping to have all the trip details (including how much we spent on gas) but I think I'm avoiding figuring it up cause I just don't really want to know.  This is most of the details from the trip:

Day 1:  Left Harrisonburg around 2pm after packing up the truck.  States: VA, MD, WV, PA, OH.  Arrived in Columbus, OH at my brothers house 9 hours later after 3 stops, (1 meal & 2 gas), 4 movies (thanks to Grammie) and 462 miles.

Day 2:  Spent the morning playing visiting with Michael (my brother) and his super sweet kids that we love so much.  Left Columbus shortly before 2pm.  States: OH, IN, IL, WI, MN.  Arrived in Winona, MN 12.5 hours later after 3 stops, (1 meal & 2 gas), 2 movies and 729 miles.  **We passed into the Central time zone and had daylight savings, so we gained 2 hours this day.

Day 3:  Left Winona around 10am after letting the kids run around the hotel lobby for close to 2 hours.  States: MN, SD.  Arrived in Rapid City, SD 12.5 hours later after 5 stops, (1 meal, 2 gas, 2 "potty"), 2 movies and 615 miles.  **We passed into the Mountain time zone and gained another hour.

Day 4:  Let the kids run around the hotel lobby for a while and left by 10am.  States: SD, WY.  Drove slightly out of the way to go see Mt. Rushmore with Julia.  Arrived in Gillette at our new house just over 5 hours later after 2 stops, (1 meal, 1 gas), side trek to Mt. Rushmore and 205 miles. **This is the only day that I actually drove more than Julia. 


Thanks again friends for all your prayers and support through this big life change of ours.  More to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment