Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Not quite as expected...


Well Noah has finally joined us and is as perfect as he can be. For those of you that want the details about how he ended up coming into the world...here they are. My water broke last Wednesday night at around 10. I was able to stay home and get some sleep that night since the contractions weren't too intense or close enough together to go to the hospital. Matt and I went in at 8 the next morning and I was only a centimeter dilated (yup, that's what I was the week before and my water had broken 10 hrs prior). Since my body was not behaving they started me on pitocin to induce the labor. At 9:30pm I was still only 3 cm dilated (that's right, after over 12 hrs of pitocin induced contractions - no fun). So I was given an epidural to see if that would kick my body into gear...which it didn't, but it felt amazing. I was able to sleep for the next 2 hours and at 11:30 when I still hadn't made significant progress the midwife along with the doctor recommended a c-section. So at 12:35 am Friday Noah was pulled out of me wailing. I was pretty drugged up, but I remember hearing everyone in the room comment about his size, a very respectable 9lbs 4oz and 20 inches long. I have to say when they showed him to me I definitely thought he would be closer to 10...he looked huge! Even though I was very out of it I remember that he was screaming from the moment they pulled him out of me until they put him next to me. They had cleaned him off first after giving me a glance, and then they let Matt hold him next to my face, and as soon as he got next to me he looked at me and stopped crying. He just looked at me quietly - it was incredible. Matt had watched the entire thing (here's him in his scrubs) and then went with him to the nursery while I was in recovery. The labor and delivery definitely didn't happen the way that Matt and I had hoped it would, but God had a plan and brought us all through it healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment