Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hypothyroidism and weaning

So I had been a little down about how hard a time I have had losing the baby weight. It was actually pretty frustrating. Ironically I decided to go to the doctor to have my wrist looked at (cyst-no biggie) and ended up finding out that I have hypothyroidism. It definitely made me feel better about the whole baby weight thing, but my doctor did not recommend me waiting till I was done breastfeeding to start the medication I now need to take. That's right...weaning here we come. He said that it woudl be fine to keep breastfeeding, but I"d rather not give Noah anything that he doesnt' need...especially hormones. Okay, cutting out the unnecessary details...I'm still nursing him some (cold turkey for an 11 month old is a bad idea) but I'm not pumping anymore (as of today). The not pumping is actually a relief...I'm pretty sick of it (and so is Matt since he always has to do the dishes). The hardest thing for me will be on Saturday, when I woudl normally nurse him during the eday but will have to give him a bottle instead. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Wow, I definitely think this will be harder on me than it will be on Noah. So that's the fast version of that update...

3 comments:

  1. Hey, don't stress over it. It can be emotional, I know. I weaned Judah at 12 mths because of yeast issues and his lack of interest and it felt so early! But he's fine. And Noah will be fine, and you'll be fine. And you've done such a great thing to nurse him this long. He's such a fat-n-happy breastfed baby! My sister had to wean at nine months (stress while her Hubby was deployed caused major supply issues)-- straight to solids, because Violet wouldn't take formula. She's fine, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have hypothyroidism as well. I have been on medication for about 3 yrs and have noticed the biggest difference....not so tired, think more clearly, energy,etc.

    I think its sad to wean at anytime because its the end of an era. I nursed Kensi for the last time the day after she turned 1 and I couldn't believe how overwhelmed I was with sadness.

    Hope this transition goes smoothly for both of you. And don't worry about being emotional over weaning...cry as much as you want! :)

    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends! i made it through the weekend with minimal tears. I think Noah has adjusted pretty well, so that makes one of us!

    ReplyDelete