Friday, January 22, 2010

A few of my favorite things...

Baby things that is. I thought about doing a post like this for Beth, but never got around to it...so now this is mostly for Donna, but also for any mom or expecting mom...

I have to start with the PeaPod. KidCo makes it and if you're going to get one, I highly recommend getting the PeaPod Plus. The added features and larger size are worth it (you'll be able to use it longer). This is fun for kids to play in and easy, safe and much more travel friendly to use as a pack n' play replacement. Noah naps and plays beautifully in it...I'm even planning on buying a second one for Chloe.

We use Munchkin Snack Catchers on a daily basis. They're easy for little ones to hold when they're just starting to eat finger foods and they keep the mess to a minimum. They do not prevent kids from grabbing handfuls of food and throwing it all over the place...but they're the best snack holder I've come across.
Cloth Diapers are the best burp rags you can find. They're absorbent, they come in large quantities, and they cover more surface area. Those little tiny burp rags out there...put one of those on your shoulder to burp your kid and I'd bet money that you get spit up all over yourself. Of course, when they're little you'll get spit up everywhere no matter what...but trust me...BUY SOME OF THESE. (Make sure you get the prefolded!)

These Bumkins Bibs are hands down the best bibs once babies are doing real food. They're big, so they cover more surface area, the velcro works (unlike many bibs after a few washes), they can be hosed down and dry quickly for frequent uses, they can be thrown in the washing machine, they're waterproof - so a wet bib does not mean a wet baby...and they have lots of cute styles. Oh, and they have different sizes to accommodate different stages. They're so easy to clean that you'll need fewer bibs and it will be worth the money. These have become one of my beloved baby items (thanks Leah for the introduction!)
I absolutely LOVE my Ergo Baby Carrier. It is a little pricer than some carriers you can find, but again, it is worth it (if you plan on using a carrier a lot that is). When I was recovering form my surgery after having Noah, my incision was still hurting when I picked him up in his carseat but it did not hurt to carry him in the Ergo (impressive!) It's comfortable, easy to use (even comes with an instructional DVD), can be adjusted to carry on front or back and is also more comfortable for your baby. This carrier supports the baby's entire bottom rather than just supporting the crotch area (is anybody comfortable in that kind of harness?!). Make sure you read the instructions well, newborns up to 4 months need to be placed in the carrier a different way.


This is a necessity for nursing mothers that want to leave the house. Both Udder Covers and Hooter Hiders make covers that enable you to see your baby while she nurses but gives you plenty of privacy as well. They're lightweight so baby won't get too hot, machine washable, and you have lots of cute patterns to choose from (unless you find one on clearance somewhere like me...then you have to decide whether it's worth the extra 50% or so to have the exact pattern you want...of course I went the money saving route;).


There are plenty more things out there that I love and use often, but these were the first few things I thought of when I decided to do this post. With the exception of the cloth diapers, each of these things I discovered after I had already been using some inferior item and I wish someone had just made me buy all this stuff when I first had Noah.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Lauren! So appreciated! I wrote down everything exactly. Drew and I are going on a scouting mission to Buy Buy Baby (which takes B,B &B coupons) tomorrow to start getting some prices and hands on time with everything we are seeing on the internet. I know you are super busy with both kids and trying to get ready to go back to work so I know it wasn't easy to throw this together and I'm so grateful. Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete