Sunday, January 24, 2010

Oh boy...

I thought I'd let Noah play with the dry erase markers on his table while I got lunch ready.

MISTAKE!

I know, it seems like a rookie mistake...and I'm not really a rookie anymore am I? He is normally so good about obeying things like that...and I was just around the corner for a minute. Funny thing is that I didn't even catch him or discipline him for this. That's right, I saw that he didn't obey the "the markers have to stay on the table" rule when he started drawing on a kitchen cabinet. GASP...discipline, stern talking to...then I go around the corner and see the real mess he made. But we already had our discipline time...(he did have another stern talking to though). Yup, totally my fault. I'm a rookie.

3 comments:

  1. Does Noah get to clean it up? :) Would a "Magic Eraser" work to clean the wall? One of the books we are reading on parenting would have us react by not getting upset but something like, "oh, that's too bad, the rest of our play time we're going to have to spend cleaning the wall" -- with the goal to try to teach responsibility for actions. I'm just wondering how feasible this is though for someone so young....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a magic eraser will work...I recently got some to get crayon off the wall by the front door (that's been there for a month or so now). I'll let you know if it works...otherwise I'll be buying some touch up paint.
    That discipline would not work with a kid Noah's age, cause cleaning up is playing to him. It would just be like another fun activity. Anything he gets to do that mimics adults is fun for him. Is that "gentle parenting"? I've heard a few things about it but from what I've seen, it doesn't really teach kids to obey. At least not little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called "Love and Logic" and it was recommended by my pastor's wife (see www.loveandlogic.com). They say you can\should start even before they can talk, but like you said, I would think sometimes the "consequences" aren't that bad. (In this case, having to clean the wall). But I guess the goal is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete